Thursday, September 4, 2008

82 Degrees in the Middle of November

I've come to learn that there are as many bad days afield as good days. Makes sense, I guess. If you were to hunt a hundred days, and then rank them with regard to the total experience, the relativity of it all would put about 50 days as being above average, and the remainder below average. All of which beat doing anything else in the upright position.

To clarify, I think weather does as much to make for a bad day as low bird numbers could. Bad weather could mean excessive snow, rain, but usually it's just too damn hot. Last November I struck out with two buddies for four days of hunting western Kansas. The first two days produced daytime highs of 75, and the third day was 82! And then, of course, the fourth day was cold and humid, high in the 50's, and very very windy. The trip, as far as birds and weather were concerned, was nearly a bust. We shot a few birds each day, and there were some high moments I'll never forget, but it wasn't the early season trip for which I hoped--uneducated pheasants, large coveys of quail, and maybe the first snow. We still had a great time, and I attribute that to good company as much as anything else. I guess my point is, even on a busted bird hunting trip, you could and should have a good time. Maybe do something you wouldn't normally do. Hit up a local pub and mix with the locals. Whatever.

My first recommendation...

2 comments:

Shawn K. Wayment, DVM said...

I must of been in Kansas the same weekend! It was 80 plus degrees...and HOT! There were tons of pheasants but the dogs were to hot to hunt! We still had an awesome time!

Shawn

Jon Uhart said...

Just got back from 10 days in NE and MT. Daytime highs in the 80's almost every day. Report coming soon.